This is the first post, so let me explain what is the goal of this, and where am I at the moment.
This is a 3D FPS game engine project. It is not suppose to be great, but it should have the essential functionality that can support a game. I am trying to figure out what goes where, and reading books and blogs wouldn’t cut it anymore. Current status can be summed up as:
- Window and input management using SDL2, multiplatform. (Regularly testing on GNU Linux, Windows 10 and Mac OS
- Rendering 3d world using models loaded using Assimp
- Dynamic shadow mapping for directional and point lights
- Skeletal animations. To test animations first animation is run repeatedly.
- Rigidbody physics using Bullet
- Basic GUI
To sum up, you can build a map, run around in it, push objects.
I believe it can be used for a platformer if I can add these:
- Interactive UI
- A gameplay layer. Currently falling off an edge means you will fall indefinitely, and there is no push this button to activate door, etc.
For a more traditional FPS, we would need:
- Guns + shooting